Free School Meals

Guidance Notes

This Scheme is designed to help you if you are moving into a residential or nursing care home and most of your capital is tied up in your property. Under the government's charging rules, if you have savings and/or a property valued at more than £23,250 you will be expected to meet the full cost of your residential care. However, we understand that this might not be possible straight away if your capital is tied up in your property. We know that your house may take some time to sell or you might not be ready to think about selling your home just yet.

How does the Scheme work?

Effectively the Scheme offers you a loan from Stockport Council using your home as security. It doesn't work exactly in the same way as a conventional loan  - the Council doesn't give you a fixed amount of money when you join the scheme, but pays an agreed part of your weekly care and support bill for as long as necessary. This is the loan element and is know as the deferred payment. You therefore are simply deferring payment of the debt until your property is sold, or you chose to pay the debt another way.

You will pay a weekly contribution towards your care, that you have been assessed as being able to pay from your income and other savings. The Council pays the part of your weekly charge that you cant afford until your property is eventually sold or the debt is paid in another way.

The part the council pays is your 'deferred payment'. The deferred payment builds up as a debt - which is cleared when the money tied up in your house is released. For many people this will be done by selling their home.

You can use this confidential Financial Assessment Calculator to get an idea of how much you will have to contribute towards the cost of your care. You need to answer all the questions that apply to you, but please remember this is only a rough guide. Once your care home placement is agreed we will contact you to undertake a thorough financial assessment with you.

Before you start the form make sure that you have details of all of your income, capital and savings to hand.

Income we need to know about includes State Retirement Pensions, private or occupational pensions, War Pension/War Widows Pension, Pension Credits, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Employment & Support Allowance (ESA). Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Incapacity Benefit, Carer's Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credits, and any other income that you receive.

Capital and savings we need to know about include Bank and Building Society accounts, including current accounts, Premium Bonds, National Savings, ISAs, stocks and shares, and any other savings, capital,  or properties that you have.

We may be able to take certain expenses into account, so you will need to have details of your expenses to hand too. Expenses we may be able to take into account include gas, electricity, water, mortgage payments, property maintenance charges and home insurance. 

Start a new form

Choose this option to start a new form - click on the Start button to get going

Continue a saved form

Choose this option to retrieve a previously saved form - enter your reference number from last time and click Continue to carry on.

If you save your form for later, it's important you fill it in and submit it within 1 month, other wise you may lose your saved information.  Applications will only be stored for one month, after which they will be deleted from our system.

Loading section. Please wait a few moments...Please wait while we search for your details